Here we go again....

In 2008, I was diagnosed with DCIS, the precursor to "REAL" breast cancer. Being young, I decided to take a very aggressive approach to this and opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction. No radiation, no chemo., no hormones & only a 1 % chance of reoccurance, seemed like a good percentage at the time, but not so much these days.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012






 Hasta La Vista Adriamycin. 
Week four chemo is the last of the first combinations of meds, one being the Adriamycin . I wore this red/orange wig because it looks like the medicine, don't ya think. I of course, I wore the sweater and all because that also complemented my hair color. Gotta keep them guessing at the ROC!


Accessing the Port
Some of you saw this picture on facebook. When they are accessing the port they don't like you to breath germ on it and try and keep it sterile as the line is going right into your vein, so they ask you to turn your head away or wear a mask. I usually turn my head, but wanted to watch the access this time, hence the pretty mask, that doesn't really go with my hair. We'll have to see if they make other colors for next time. I hate to clash colors. Reading that back you may ask what I mean by accessing the port. The port is left in and they clog it up with a blog clogger when I leave and then when I come back for treatment they give me a bood thinner to re open it. No biggy, just a syringe full of meds to open or close access to the vein depending on what we need.


The fourth treatment in general
So my numbers were back up and great before chemo, the WBC's were 12.8, again, better that the 4-10 that is normal, so that shows up the Neulasta shots on Tuesday are really revving up the bone marrow and doing what it should be doing in getting the WBC's & RBC's back on track for me.

My friend Shelly took me in this week, did not get a picture of her, darn it, but you can look her up on www.drooz.com if you want some beautiful artwork, she is tres talented and a very, very good friend! Andy came in after his meeting and things went as they always do. we were in and out in about 4 hours.
Special Visiotr
We did have a special visit from Beth Baldwin who spear heads her mom's foundation, The Carol Baldwin Find the Cure Foundation. Contact information on the picture. Beth was in to sit with a young 20 yr. old who was having her first treatment, she just met the girl and she was scared and she said that she would sit with her. The nurses told me she was there until 5pm with her. This is not something she probably wants out there, but it is the things she herself does personally for people. The organization is great at providing blankets for those newly diagnosed to helping other charities that are working towards a same cause. Not to mention the money they are giving to research to find a cure. A great family and a great organization. I will side bar the info on this blog for quicker contact too.

DAY 2 Neulasta Shot Back today with my Mom for the Neulasta shot. Feel good. Wore my funky Mackenzie Child hat that Jesse got me today. You can't even begin to see the funkiness of it in this picture, but it is funky!  Now I think you can start to see the funk of the hat on Dr. Bogart here, the head of Radiation Oncology, at Upstate, no one escapes me when they are walking through the halls of the hospital, so Doctors, Nurses, anyone I know, beware, you may be next for the hat or wig picture! Thanks Jeff for being a good sport. Dr. Bogart and I have know each other since college days, so he is probably a bit more tolerate of my antics!
Wig shopping on the fly
Headed to Dougherty's after, as the shot was quick and I want a few more wigs,I had a few ladies at the costume shop comment on my hat and we got into the reason for the hat and wigs.One was just finishing her battle with breast cancer and said she wishes she would have had more fun with wigs  & hats as I was.  I got three new ones, but you'll have to wait for those, they are fun. Here are my rejects.




I should have walked like an Egytpian, missed that one.l
  Love the furry hat, but too hot for summer






I am second guessing this one now seeing it in the picture, I knda like the rasta look on me. might have to make a trip back for this one.









Andy checking in, never a phone call away that man! 
Andy called by this time and said my mom better get me home, so we headed straight home and you can see I am resting while I blog. I promised a blog today and I must deliver to my people!



Walk/Race for Life
In closing, I want to thank Marie Bailey who walked for a cure last month and Kara Seeley who walked this weekend in my honor. I am honored you ladies took time out of your life to recognize me and all the others who are out there dealing with cancer. you are the people I am glad to have in my life and the ones making the difference. here is my illuminary at this past weekends walk!



She is always there for you whatever you need, except if there is a NASCAR race she has to attend, or an old car rally, but there all the other important times. I love my Mommy, thanks for being there through this all Mom! 

2 comments:

  1. Sherie; we love you in purple, and we love you in pink,
    you would look good wearing the kitchen sink,
    we love you in orange, and tomato and red, there is nothing that does not look good on your head!
    We will see you in green, in silver and gold,
    delight in your white, your black and your bold,
    Hmmmmmm,
    What more shall we say,of this amazing Gal Sherie today?
    What fitting words that rhyme with the above?
    "IT IS YOU THAT WE LOVE"
    "It is you that we love"
    Sherie R. It is YOU that we LOVE!

    ReplyDelete