Here we go again....

In 2008, I was diagnosed with DCIS, the precursor to "REAL" breast cancer. Being young, I decided to take a very aggressive approach to this and opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction. No radiation, no chemo., no hormones & only a 1 % chance of reoccurance, seemed like a good percentage at the time, but not so much these days.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

House Arrest again, but weekend was worth it!

I am under house arrest again. I had a full Memorial Day Weekend and the Neulasta shot is slow kicking in again so my levels are low and Andy has me on house arrest with resting and pushing fluids, not alcoholic! This time the WBC's are pretty good, but the Red Blood Cells (RBC's) & it's cousins are not good.


WBC - 2.5 (4-10)
RBC - 2.85 (4.1 - 5.3)
Hemo. - 9.1 (11.5 -15.5)
Hemat. - 26.5 (36 - 45)

So now we have to get serious and understand what all these numbers mean cause I know Andy's Dad is sitting there scratching his head and asking himself if I am OK?  I am OK Bill! 
All those numbers being low basically mean I am anemic and I am suppose to be tired and fatigued, but those don't look good on me and I don't do them well!
RBC -  These cells carry Oxygen throughout the body.when low, tired and fatigued.
HEMOGLOBIN - when low, you are anemic. tired and fatigued.




HEMATOCRIT - the fraction of the whole blood volume that consists of RBC's. when low, tired and fatigued.
PLATELETS - help blood clot & prevent bleeding - yeah, these guys were good and saved me from transfusion.
When these numbers are low, the Doctor can opt to infuse with growth factors that stimulate the particular type of cell or they can infuse with "healthy" blood.
My numbers were close to being infused, but platelets good and I was feeling OK, so just House Arrest for a few days.


Enough seriousness, I am fine, OK, I am a little tired, constant headaches, new mouth sores and tooth pain,  & constipated, but a girls gotta have something getting chemo, give me a break, I am not Superwoman.
Let's talk about the fun that shot me into this downward spiral.
         Friday Evening of Mem. Day Wkd.: Melissa Etheridge Concert:
                                                   Enough said, we are like new best friends
         her advice, listen to your body and find out all ways of healing, not just what the Doctors say
Saturday of Mem. Day Wkd.: Rest & picnic Bonfire
I slept in alot for me, until almost 11am and just puttered around the house on Saturday. went to bonfire picnic with great friends Saturday evening. Andy went up to castle and back, but was back in time to enjoy the bonfire.     
You got me. This was not our Bonfire, this was the Boyscouts at a recent camping trip, but it felt like this one to me and Ididn't get a picture of the one I was at!                                                                                                                                          
                                         
                      Sunday of Mem. Day Wkd.: Rest & BBQ @ Pool
More puttering around & some shopping with Ruby on Sunday and then we went to Ms. Bev's and hung out by the pool for a BBQ there. She was on the Meal Train that evening, so she had us there instead of delivering. Very relaxing.                   
                                                        the boys played Stratego, Rex won!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                                                        Girls swam.
                                           Monday of Mem. Day Wkd.: Parade & Party
                           The boys marched in the parade in the morning, I took pictures. It rained a bit, but no one melted and Rex found his new boyscout shirt is water resistant! 
It was a nice tribute and celebration at the lake! 
then we had friends over to a glass party. We set up window frames for the castle windows we are doing in stained glass and let each family make their own design, here are a few examples of our new castle windows, everyone had fun and worked hard! 
                                                               we all had a "GLASST"
                                                           we raised some glasses
                                                            and then raised some more
                                            Rex wins again, look at this kid. the legos paid off!
and my many hair styles this week were as follows:
my own husband didn't recognize me as a blonde
                                                        the kids in town loved the red hair.
Andy is still trying to figure out his favorite, we'll keep him guessing! 
going to take a nap in my zero gravity chair! 

2 comments:

  1. REIN IT IN GIRL! You are not Superwoman (well, maybe a little bit). Come on....kayaking for 3 hours, partying, etc. Time to REST UP (that's your body talking - hear it?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you hugs and kisses and many many smiles!

    ReplyDelete