Here we go again....

In 2008, I was diagnosed with DCIS, the precursor to "REAL" breast cancer. Being young, I decided to take a very aggressive approach to this and opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction. No radiation, no chemo., no hormones & only a 1 % chance of reoccurance, seemed like a good percentage at the time, but not so much these days.

Friday, December 28, 2012


I figured since it is still December for a few more days I better get my butt in gear and get blogging about this month. I am happy to say that this month was much like Decembers of the past. I get crazed and overwhelmed thinking I can't do it all and then I do it early and keep shopping and then everyone says I over do it.Well, as I told my sister in law, it was good to be alive and be able to over do it this year, so deal with it.
I had two follow up appointments this month. The first one was with Dr. Gil, my Plastic Surgeon, who started all this trouble this year. He says the boobies look and feel great. He says it doesn't even look like I went through the radiation as they still look so good. I will see him again in March and we'll do an MRI then.
My second follow up was my 6 month post Chemo. with Dr. Lemke, my Oncologist. She did some bloodwork and an exam and all looks great. She also said I was looking great. I will see her again in 3 months.
I have a follow up with Dr. Shapiro, the Radiation Oncologist in a few weeks, but I am feeling great, staying up late, no naps, and doing way too much again.
My hair is coming in, slow but sure. When I look back to last month and look at these pics, it looks like it is coming in a lot, but I am not a good waiter and I want it longer NOW! It has been coming back in black and gray, so I colored it. I figured if I heave to deal with it short, I could atleast do something about the color. It is also coming in very curly. The top and front is almost like an afro.
You know, you think when the treatment is over, all is back to being good and for the most part it is, but I really miss my hair and it is amazing how much your hair can impact your confidence and self esteem. I feel like I have to explain to everyone that this wasn't my hair choice and I know I look better with long hair.
I finally took the work wig off at work and everyone there has been very kind about my hair. Some still couldn't believe the wig was a wig to the point that one of the ladies said "why did she cut her hair, it looked so good long" GROW!
Since we are talking about work, let's talk some more. I love it! I love the students, I love my colleagues, I love it all. It  has been busy and I am sure it will be busy again, but I am OK with that because I have the time I need with each student to do some quality work. 
I went and saw Jason again! It was his last US show of this tour and his first time @ MSG. It was amazing , as usually, and just what I needed in the middle of all the holiday craze. Ruby & I went down to NYC for 2 days and stayed with our friends. We did some shopping, had some great meals, and saw the show. It was a quick trip, but well worth it.

 
and here is our XMAS 2012 card.
                                     
We are Om for the holidays & taking it easy. Andy is working lots, but the kids and I are hanging out at home together. It's nice the kids are such home bodies and like just sleeping in, watching movies, and playing games. We got to have three very special christmas celebrations with our families, I only drank too much at one! It was great being together with everyone.We might venture out into the cold this weekend and go skiing.
So that is it, I told you it wasn't that exciting, but that is OK with me, we had enough excitement all Spring and Summer! So ..........
talk to ya next year! 






No comments:

Post a Comment